Saturday, November 19, 2011

Wilder & wilder


A copy of Wilder Quarterly fell into my lap recently. Or, fine, I stole it from our office pile of periodicals (yes, yes, I know, I'm really into thieving lately). It's a magazine about growing, cooking, eating--all my favorite things. I first heard about it on Design*Sponge, of course, but I was unprepared for how much I would like it. It's beautifully laid out, with glorious full-bleed photographs, but the writing is clean and mostly unfussy.


There was a recipe for pear syrup, and as it just so happens, I have a terrifying number of pears in my fridge, from a rather exuberant fruit CSA share. So I got to chopping and cooking and straining and milling and restraining and sugaring and bottling.


Which makes it all sound so much more complicated than it was. My syrup turned out a little muddier than the magazine's, which looks downright lemony. Next time, I might try juicing the pears and then mixing in simple syrup, rather than cooking everything together. But I can't complain about the taste. Or really anything.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful photos! your post made me want to try my hand at pear syrup.
    xo
    http://quenchantofthecurious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete